- The Church of The Nativity, Park view Estate Ikoyi (COTN) is desirous of a Master plan that will provide full guidance for the implementation of the development of all the Church’s available land. It is anticipated that it is to be a strategic Master‐plan that is forward looking and which not only takes into account the present and future needs of the Church, but also provides suitable phasing to ensure the feasibility of the various development plans.
- At all times, the high standards of COTN as currently exists are to be maintained or exceeded. This design brief, prepared by the Church (through the Building Committee), briefly lists the considerations that should be considered by the Architect in arriving at the required Master Plan. This is by no means exhaustive. Even where not specified, anything that will help position the Church for the future challenges and for best practice may be introduced.
THE SITE AND AVAILABLE LAND
- There are now two parcels of land due to be developed. One is contiguous to the church and has initially been earmarked for a Multi‐Purpose building. This is currently being used as a car park by the church. Opposite this is the other parcel of land which has been recently acquired. The total available land is to be the subject of the Masterplan and it is to be assumed that there is no other land available and hence all the development requirements are to be contained within these areas.
BUILDING DESIGN OVERVIEW
The proposed buildings within the masterplan should have the following characteristics:
- Be cost‐effective, fully functional solutions
- They should maintain the excellent ambience of the existing Church premises.
- They should be low maintenance and eco‐friendly facilities.
- The designs should be simple, functional and aesthetically pleasing.
- The designs, which will obviously need to be on multi levels, must comply with approved parameters of the Planning authorities.
- Fire and safety regulations must be observed, particularly in relation to the spacing of staircases and acceptable access by fire‐fighting vehicles
- Adequate natural ventilation and lighting should be considered.
- Alternative power solutions (inverter/solar) should be included.
- Openness and accessibility should be considered to achieve pleasant, open places that encourage visits and frequent use.
- There should be as much built in flexibility for future changes (including becoming an Archdeaconry, etc)
- Sustainability considerations
- Commercial Viability (preferably be able to generate funds to maintain itself and the church)
- Integrate Technology
BUILDING / FACILITIES REQUIREMENTS
The following buildings/facilities are required. It is understood that while not all the requirements can be met as desired, efforts should be made to address all of these within the masterplan, indicating the options available where there are obvious limitations.
- Residence for the Vicar
- Residence for the Curates
- Security House
- Adequate Car Parking
- Sunday School facilities (that can accommodate at least 5 permanent classrooms)
- Multipurpose Hall / Event Centre
- Skills Acquisition Centre
- Clergy Offices
- PCC Conference room
- Administrative offices
- Office Suites (for Income Generation)
- Lifts and Disabled Access
- Secure Perimeter fencing and Gate Entrance with pedestrian access
- Generator House
- Meeting Rooms / Counselling Rooms
- Library / Book Shop
- Church Clinic
- Guests Apartments (which can accommodate visiting Priests or Bishops)
- Adequate Landscaping
- Sexton and Driver’s accommodation
- Charity shop (for the storage of charity goods/donations items)
- Baby Friendly Rooms (for babies and toddlers with separate toilets and baby changing facilities)
- Staff room (+ lockers and toilet)
- Facilities such as Underground water tank / Bore hole and Water treatment plant / Waste disposal area